Sunday 4 August 2013

Uni Day in Leicester

At the risk of offending anyone, I was very much of the opinion that Leicester, to put it bluntly, was a bit of a dump. Not sure why, but we set off on this Uni visit day with fairly low expectations.

First of all we went a very different route up to St Pancras which took us over Blackfriars bridge. I thought this was a great view of London with Tower Bridge in the distance and the Shard on the right and the sunlight twinkling on the Thames.

Then we arrived at St Pancras....I love this station, so pretty.

Then arrived at Leicester Uni. I was amazed just how green and lovely it was. We were shown around the Chemistry dept and were very impressed. Then continuing our theme of "Uni Freebies", we decided to accept a strawberry ice cream, made with liquid nitrogen! Pretty cool huh?

Then we went for a walk around Leicester to get a feel of the city; loved this lamp post.

This is the pedestrian route to the city from the Uni, really delightful walk past some great green spaces and lovely old buildings.

This was part of a convent...

...and this was where they found Richard III. That man is standing in the actual trench they took the coffin out of. We were lucky enough to wander past...today is the very last day before they fill it all in and build on the top.
So all in all Leicester  was pretty cool! We really enjoyed our day there and it certainly outlived our expectations. So why am I predjudiced? What am I missing? Or am I listening to the wrong people?
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Tinkertaylor said...

Great pictures. For me Leicester is the home of the Tigers my favorite rugby team so I'm a bit biased.