Sunday 9 May 2010

A Denim Quilt...

I was very inspired by my day quilting in London and met a lovely lady, Sarah Baulch, and we got chatting about recycling. I have been saving my children's denim skirts, jeans and bits and bobs since they were about 5 so I decided on a whim, to get on and do something with them! A quick hunt on t'internet showed a design for a denim raggy quilt. I rummaged in my loft and found a red fleece throw that I had bought which I decided would make a great backing and away I went....120 squares later....
...I was ready to stitch in strips with the wrong sides together so the seam would be on the surface. Then I ironed the seams flat, trimmed them and stitched the strips together, ironing and trimming as I went. Last job was to attach the fleece and then top-stitch aroung the edge and in a cross shape to hold the back to the front IYSWIM!
And here it is.....My finished quilt on Jess' bed. I have since washed it and the seams are all nice and raggedy. My first ever patchwork and I can thoroughly recommend making one. It took just 3 evenings and has a lovely weight to it as well as the jeans being lovely and soft and worn and full of memories of tiny wearers!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Burnice said...

Well, blow me down with a feather... that is absolutely fandabbydozy. I am well impressed Tash - if not a tad jealous you went to a "quilt day in London"...........

Loving the red spots too.
Burnice x